Wednesday 16 January 2013

Try Me, I'm New!


"Don't copy the behaviour and customs of the world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." (Romans 12:2) NLT




Sunday passed in a bliss of golden light. In retrospect it seems to be the day the sun often favours lately. Or perhaps it is just the warmth I feel when I recall these days of sharing, rest and reflection. A friend pointed out that it is the contrasts that make the honey sweeter, the light more bright and our air more rare. It is proven true, mid-morning on yet another gray day, when I realise once again, that small bodies confined in a small space for a length of time is often a formula for big frustration. I watch in horror as my gentle little boy's teeth close on his screaming brother's forehead(!!). Angry mother bear pulls the offender swiftly into her lap, poised for correction in any form. The attacker looks deeply into my eyes, strokes my cheek and whispers "sorry mamma". I melt... With all the necessary apologies performed, I hold them close, in a circle of forgiveness. With a red welt forming on his forehead the wounded one announces: "Jesus is in my heart and in brothers' heart" Total meltdown...

Back to the contrasts. These times stand out starkly against the time when I felt that God had "left" my own heart to take up residence someplace better. Truth is, it was me who "moved house", not Him. I chose to dwell in the misery of my current situation, pitch my tent in a dark place of self-pity and bitterness. Fortunately, God broke down these walls to show me without refute that He had been there all the time.




He stayed on for this reason: I am certain that God, who began a good work within (me), will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.
(Phil 1:6).

So many times have I been brought back to the fact that it has to happen from the inside out this year, that I have had to come to the conclusion that God wants me to be renewed. To change, be moulded into someone who ultimately reflects His beauty in every aspect of my being. How can this be done?

Please don't think that I am trying to write a "sermon". I only want to share the truths that will hopefully point me in the right direction for the journey to be changed for his glory.

I SEARCHED MY BIBLE AND FOUND THAT:

1. TO FIND MY WAY:

Your Word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path (Ps 119:105).

My way will be lit - with the truth and guidance found in every page of his living Word. But, I can only go somewhere if I am willing to walk in the light, follow the map so clearly drawn out in each page of his Word.

2. IN TIMES OF TEMPTATION:

But Jesus told him : No! The Scriptures say: "People do not live by bread alone" 
(Luke 4:4)

Christ quotes the Bible (Deut 8:3) to the devil when he tried to tempt him to change a stone into bread to satisfy his hunger. His defence came from the Word of God, not from his own wisdom. I can and should use words that reverberate truth from the Book of truth when I am tempted in any way.



3. WHY?

I want them to have complete confidence that they understand God's mysterious plan, which is Christ himself. In Him lie all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Col 2:2-3)

I can only understand God's plan for me through Christ, once again from His Word. For in the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God and the Word was God. (John 1:1). Pointing to Jesus from the beginning of "time".



4. BUT THE BIBLE IS JUST A BOOK!

The word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. (Heb 4:12)
Nothing is hidden from God - he can lead us on an intimate path with Him through His Word and His Holy Spirit.

5. PREGNANCY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:

(This analogy comes from a book called "Living Water" by Brother Yun)

Where there is no vision, the people perish (Prov 29:11)

God wants all Christians to be pregnant with the Holy Spirit today. He wants to give us a vision for His Kingdom that originates from heaven, not from me. His desire is that all his children would be overshadowed by His presence, in such a way that we are changed and give birth to something in our lives that brings many into His Kingdom.

6. THE COMPANY WE SEEK:

(Also inspired by Brother Yun)
If you become filled (pregnant) by the Holy Spirit, seek out the company of someone else who is in the same "condition". Mary knew she could be accused of adultery and be stoned to death, we could face attacks and be mocked by people who do not understand our wondrous predicament. Mary sought out Elizabeth, whose own baby (John the Baptist) leaped in her womb in recognition of who was in Mary. I hope to seek the company of my Elizabeth(s), knowing that each time I see them, something will leap inside my spirit!

If I tell God that I am willing to do this, I do not need to be afraid. God will sustain and give birth to what is inside me, even if this proves to be a painful experience. For the joy of being pregnant with the Holy Spirit, people have endured torture and persecution all over the world.

A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come, but when her baby is born, she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a (her) child is born into the world. 
(John 16:21)

As I look out at the mist-covered tree-tops, my spirit leaps and looks towards the journey of being changed with anticipation and joy. I hope to share bits of this journey with you - and ultimately of Him, who makes all things possible through His strength and grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment