Wednesday 26 September 2012

Under a wing and a prayer



Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the Shadow of Your Wings. (Psalm 17:8)

This journey began in the shadows. For a while it was a dark, threatening shadow of uncertainty and fear. But there was a promise of Light... Just a chink, a glimpse. Enough to give hope, to trust. I often watch as the jackal buzzards soar and dip overhead, their calls faint and haunting. They seem so free, so light. When I was little, I often dreamed of flying. At the time when we moved into our mountain cabin, I recall standing on it's amazing deck - offering me an eagle's eye view of the mountain, the bluff opposite and the surrounding forests. I lifted my arms and closed my eyes. It was just a breeze, but I felt myself lifting onto tiptoes; and then something like a rustling of feathers passed. So nearby - I could touch it. I knew then, as I know now that there will be a time, when I will crawl out of this hiding place, as sweet and warm as it may be.

And soar.

As early as the book of Ruth in the Bible we find the blessing of Boaz to Ruth as she gleaned the fields behind the harvesters: "May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge". Then the Psalmist uses the exact image in Pss 17, 36, 57, 61, 91 and in 63:7 David sings in the shadow of His wings, while he was in the Desert of Judah. In Matthew 23:37 Jesus Himself says with a longing heart: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem....., how often I have longed to gather your children together as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing...

Our family (my husband and I plus two adorable boys) live in the Hogsback Mountains, named after the ruggedy ridge atop these three mounts. We came here in search of solace from the city, an over familiar theme for many city "refugees". Nowhere else have we been more fiercely challenged, faced stronger doubts and fears, individually and as a family. A charmed country life is mostly an illusion reserved for sneak peeks in magazines and travel media. Yes, it is real and good and mostly wholesome. We breathe pristine mountain air, have access to clean ground and rain water, are surrounded by an awesome natural environment, as well as breathtaking parks and gardens. We even have the marvel of snowfalls, blindingly beautiful and such fun! (That is before the sludge and freeze of the morning after). I have grown into a deep love for this strange little village and its colourful community; and would find it incredibly hard to adjust back into any fast lane.

I feel that I may have a humble story to tell. Fractured as it may be, it will hopefully shed Light, bring encouragement and with a lot of grace bring a smile once in a while. My story has only one hero: Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I find refuge in the Shadow of His Wings, entrust everything into His care, and hope to write words from His heart to yours. For anything else will be fleetingly entertaining, with little sustenance, honesty or eternal purpose.



"I know nothing, except what everyone knows - if there when Grace dances, I should dance." W.H. Auden



1 comment:

  1. The logic and content of what is said is less important than the faith and love with which it is conveyed. The tone of voice shows whether the speaker wants to seem brilliant and knowledgeable, or whether he wants to nourish, to give freely and witness humbly to what has been given and freely received. The talks which nourish come from people who allow God to speak through their lips.
    Jean Vanier, Community and Growth, p. 174

    ReplyDelete